Would you like to have your student learn how to exercise safely and instill healthy habits that will last a lifetime? How about challenging them to set a goal, earning a great sense of accomplishment when they do, as well as being motivated with prizes along the way?
If so, we would love to have you join us for another great year of 100 mile club! The 100 Mile Club provides the opportunity to run or walk 100 miles during a single school year which improves school readiness to learn, creates better educational outcomes, builds self-esteem and improves overall health in the lives of children and others.
Please print and complete the form in the link and return it to the front desk along with the $12 registration fee. Once the form is received, you will get a welcome email from the coaches and you will be invited to the private Bill Roberts 100 Mile Club Facebook page. If you don’t get a notification on Facebook, please search for “Bill Roberts 100 Mile Club” and send a request to join.
Before school runs will start on September 10, 2018!
- Who: All students in all grades can participate. If you have an ECE or Kindergarten student who needs to be walked to class, please let the coach know when you drop your runner off.
- What: Run or walk as many miles as your student wants between the first day of school and Field Day (Spring date TBD ).
- When: Monday-Friday, 7:30-8:00 am (except for school holidays and closures). The last 100 Mile Club morning run will be the same day as field day. Medals for 100 Mile Achievers are awarded at Field Day.
- Where: Meet at the bench on the playground behind the school on Outside Days (temperatures above 40 degrees, no precipitation or high winds) or in the Gym on inside days (temperature below 40, high winds or rain/snow). It is the coach’s decision on inside or outside so please check the Bill Roberts 100 Mile Facebook page before dropping your runner off.
- How do I sign up? Fill out the registration form and return it to the front office with your $12 registration fee. The $12 supports the purchase of prizes runners earn along the way, including a t-shirt once the participant reaches 25 miles! (Students can wear their t-shirt to school on Fridays!)
Parents can sign up too, in fact we encourage families to commit to a healthier lifestyle together! The DPS Wellness Program has financial assistance available if needed. Please indicate on your enrollment form if assistance is needed.
- When do I run? You can run anytime starting the first day of school but before school runs will officially begin on Monday, September 10.
- Can I count miles accumulated during other sports like running while playing soccer or wandering around a museum/zoo? No, it should be a purposeful walk or run for this program. There are so many ways to earn miles! Run or walk to and from school and get additional prizes by signing up for the school’s Boltage program. Get your family to walk or run together after dinner.
- How do I log my miles? Once you sign up, complete the registration form and turn it in along with your registration fee, you will receive a confirmation email with an excel tracker spreadsheet or you can use any other method you chose. Please send your child’s mileage totals to the head coach at least monthly. We will send out a reminder every week to total your miles and if your child/children are approaching a milestone (25, 50, 75, 100, etc.) Prizes that corresponds to that milestone will be given to the child at 100 mile club or delivered to their teacher’s box when it is achieved.
Last year was one of our best years for participation and we can’t wait to see who joins us for this school year! We are hoping to continue to expand our club in its fifth year. Will your student earn gold this year?
For additional questions or to volunteer your time to this great program, please email parent volunteer Susanna Kantor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Coaches: Diane Melsness, Cheryl Learned, Tyler Randolph, Susanna Kantor