When there are more applications than spots available, enrollment placement is assigned on a lottery basis during first round choice process.
During second round choice process, applications are chosen on a first-come, first-served basis and accepted if there are spots available. Although we would like to place everyone who wants a spot, ECE is a popular program with limited class sizes. We will take applications at the front desk for a waitlist based on the date and time you bring in a completed application.
For more information on the DPS choice process, please visit the DPS website.
ECE class size is limited to 20 students, with a lead teacher and a full-time para professional teacher. Students in full-day ECE participate in “Specials” that include Physical Education in the gym, Art, Music, Drama and Library.
ECE-4 Full Day Schedule:
Monday – Thursday 8:15 am – 3:15 pm
Friday 8:15 am – 1:00 pm
Early Education Core Beliefs
- Children need time to grow and develop through play and experience.
- Supporting families in their role as nurturers and first teachers leads to greater academic achievement for their children and more parental involvement in DPS and the community.
- Rigorous early learning requires that instructional activities are planned with intention and classroom environments and experiences are designed to meet specific learning outcomes.
- The building blocks of rigorous learning programs include children’s development of: cognitive processes, receptive and expressive language, fine and gross motor skills, positive behaviors and interactions, and self regulation, which creates the foundation of all learning.
- The development of young learners requires that teachers in early learning programs continually differentiate instruction to support advancement on the developmental continuum.
- Early learning standards link content and desired outcomes to specific ages of developmental periods.
- A comprehensive, high quality, early education continuum, birth through eight, closes the achievement gap.
Visit DPS Early Education online