A Unique Offering for BR Middle School Students
Bill Roberts is excited to be able to offer a first-of-its-kind cooking class aimed at teaching 5th -8th graders essential knife and culinary skills with an international approach to understanding ingredients, cross-cultural food traditions and global food sourcing.
We are able to bring you this program because we are the proud recipients of a DPS Wellness grant which allowed us to purchase professional culinary equipment for our school.
To bring you this dynamic program we have partnered with professional chef Maggie O’Toole, a BR parent and culinary skills teacher. The class will be offered as part of our Friday Middle School Enrichment Program. Although this is a fee-based program, scholarship opportunities exist for families who need them.
We are eager to make this program a showcase not only for our school and students but also for DPS as a whole.
Registration and Information
303-847-1523 or email@example.com
Students will be taught:
- Proper food handling, storage and sanitation
- Essential knife skills which allow for efficient cutting as well as minimizing of food waste
- Stocks, soups and sauces and their relationship to food history and traditions
- Global cuisine:
- Asian dumplings, wraps and noodles
- Making fresh pasta and dough and their differences and similarities throughout the world
- The traditions of cheese and cheese making
- Middle Eastern Foods and the importance of the spice roads in early history
- The use of rice across the globe
We will also hold fun cooking completions and recipe contests and each student will create a comprehensive cookbook with food writings and pictures to accompany their recipes.