Erik Cohen, PhD – Middle School Assistant Principal
Jessica McCurdy – 6th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies
- High Growth Award all Years of Teaching (6)
- “Exceeds Expectations” Rating 2012-2013, 2013-2014 school year
- Distinguished Rating Award 2013 – 14
- International Teaching in West Africa, Ghana
- Received the Oprah Winfrey Award in 8th grade for Top Reader
Renee Survis - 6th Grade Math/Science
- Among only 7% of Denver Public Schools teachers rated as “Distinguished” based on growth and professional scores
- “Exceeds Expectations” Ratings 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
- International teaching in Antigua, Guatemala
- One of eight teachers in Denver Public Schools to receive a grant to study The Civil Rights Movement in Alabama during the summer of 2009
My favorite place to be is on a beach!
I love running and last summer I ran in the Ragnar Relay Race, a 200-mile race from Copper Mountain to Aspen.
I love to travel!!!! This past summer I was lucky enough to visit Paris and Amsterdam for two weeks. I am also going to the Dominican Republic for Christmas!
In my free time I love to cook for friends and family, dig in my garden, play with my pets (Skye, Jett, Olivia and James) and read.
Danielle Worden – 6th Grade Math Interventionist
- Recognized as a “High Performing Teacher” by the Colorado Department of Education for exceptional TCAP growth scores for 7 years
- Among only 7% of Denver Public Schools rated as “Distinguished” based on growth and professional scores
- Highest growth scores overall in DPS for 6th Grade math for several years
- Two-time selected Denver Mile High Teacher
- Students’ status scores consistently higher that State and District
- Master Teacher in the state of Louisiana
Lynn Knowles – 7/8th Grade – Social Studies
- Masters Degree in Secondary Ed
- 26 years experience as a Middle School Teacher
- Mile High Teacher Award Recipient 2009
- Recognized as teacher who “Exceeds Growth Expectations” for 7 years in a row
- Teacher liaison/supervisor for a DPS middle school and CU Denver student teachers
- 9 years experience as a mild/moderate middle school special educator
- Creative Grant recipient from Coca-Cola and Join-a-School in New Mexico
- Masters Degree in Multicultural Urban Secondary English from UC Berkeley (4.0)
- Bachelor of Arts in Modern Literature (High Honors)
- Contributing author of “The First Year of Teaching: Classroom Research to Increase Student Learning”
- Highly Effective Rating (Jefferson County) 2014-15
- “Exceeds Expectations” Rating (DPS) 2012-13
Other fun facts:
My college mascot is a banana slug (UC Santa Cruz)
I love having opportunities to geek out about literature and I’m an avid reader of young adult lit.
I like to go hiking with my husband, Luke, and puppy, Bella.
I have two sisters.
I spend my summers enjoying time with my family and selling ice cream for our family business (Milk Money).
My family had a horse and a pony when I was growing up!
- Bachelor of Arts in Middle Childhood Education from Wittenberg University (Ohio).
- Completing Masters Degree in Educational Policy and Leadership from the University of Cincinnati.
- Lead Educational Consultant for AdvantaCore School Improvement Solutions traveling across the country training teachers and administrators to implement a successful freshman transition program into high school.
Other fun facts:
Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, I moved to Denver two years ago with my fiancé`, Laura. In my personal time I enjoy hiking, skiing, Ohio State football, golfing and playing with our dog Max.
Jon Havens – 7/8th Grade Science
- Bachelor of Science from Journalism School at CU Boulder
- Masters Degree from CU-Denver in Curriculum and Instruction
- Mentor teacher in both Aurora and Denver Public Schools
- Demonstration classroom teacher Aurora Public Schools
- Superintendent Award for high-growth scores in Aurora
- Led Engineering Club to first place in city-wide lithium-ion battery car competition sponsored by the National Renewable Energy Laboratories (NREL) last year
- Master of Arts in Special Education from University of Connecticut’s NEAG School of Education
- 11 years teaching experience in special education/intervention
- Distinguished Rating (DPS) 2015-16
Cathy Warden – 7/8th Grade Special Education
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- 22 years of teaching experience in Denver Public Schools, Middle School level
- Mile High Teacher Award 2008
- Experienced ‘Response to Intervention Teacher’ Instructional Coach
- Experienced “Special Education Teacher” Instructional Coach
- Denver University Adjunct Professor-Teacher Education Program, 2012
- Language Essentials for Teaching Reading and Spelling District Trainer
- Recognized as a strong student advocate by parent community
- Williams Syndrome Adult Mentor
Robin Tobin – Gifted and Talented Teacher
- Bachelor of Arts, CU Boulder in Psychology and Dance
- Master of Arts, University of Denver in Curriculum and Instruction
- Licensed Elementary, Special Education and Gifted and Talented Teacher
- Distinguished Rating, 2014-15
- Graduate of Denver Teacher Residency and model classroom for new residents