At a Glance
- Flexible curriculum to meet the individual needs of students.
- Inter-grade level (vertical) collaboration among teachers.
- Inquiry-based approach to learning with a focus on 21st Century Learning Skills.
- Focus on cognitive thinking strategies to promote deeper level thinking – students are encouraged and expected to be able to explain their thinking.
- Physical classroom environments maximize learning for the whole child – academic, social and emotional – and promote a warm community feel, as appropriate to a classroom’s learning needs.
- Collaboration with previous teachers allow for seamless transition from grade to grade.
- Our curriculum is based on Common Core, standards-based approaches incorporating differentiation and teacher-designed methodology. Some of the tools we employ in addition to the district curriculum include:Project-based learning – purposefully integrated curriculum that includes group work, research to completion and presentation skills that strengthen learning.
- Math – Singapore Math, Engage New York and CMP3 (MS) and blended learning with Khan Academy
- Literacy – Benchmark, Expeditionary Learning, Engage New York, Lucy Calkins Writing, Guided Reading and LLI Interventions
- Social Studies/Science – National Geographic and LDC
- Orton-Gillingham multi-sensory approach to phonics instruction
- Highly qualified teachers committed to life-long learning: more than 85% have or are completing their Masters in Education.
- Highly educated paraprofessionals (teacher assistants) at each grade level, some with teaching licenses and/or advanced degrees, creating a smaller teacher-to-student ratio.
- 21st Century Learning includes group work, deeper level thinking processes across reading, math, writing, social studies and art.
- Trimester Extracurriculars are part of every day and change to meet student needs and interests.
- Technology is an integrated part of all grades and subjects.
- Inter-grade level mentoring and leadership, for example book buddies, math buddies and student assistants.
- Extracurricular opportunities to extend learning (clubs based on student interest each year): Debate Team, Service Learning Club, National Geographic Spelling Bee, Semantics Club, Chess Club, Cooking Classes, Service Learning and Technology classes.
- Specialized, highly-qualified intervention teachers dedicated to the support and challenge of students at every level of instruction within the academic spectrum:
Instruction and Learning
At Bill Roberts, our team focuses on cognitive thinking strategies to promote deeper level learning. Students here are encouraged, and expected, to be able to explain their thinking and problem solve in order to find resolution.
Our team shares a common belief in focusing on student strengths when it comes to academic performance and behavior rather than working from a deficit model. Physical classroom arrangements and environments maximize learning for the whole child, and promote a warm, comfortable, community-centric atmosphere for the students through the addition of things like comfy bean-bag filled reading nooks, dedicated creativity centers and highly mobile and configurable classroom seating.
Going Beyond the Classroom: Whole Child Education
We know that much of your child’s education will happen in the classroom, but believe that as a school we can do so much more. Our teachers collaborate with students’ previous teachers and use their colleague’s insight and data to ensure a seamless transition from grade to grade. Bill Roberts also employs specialized, highly-qualified intervention teachers who are dedicated to the support and development of students at every level of instruction within the academic spectrum including those on the Gifted and Talented (GT) and Highly Gifted & Talented (HGT) spectrum, as well as those needing special education and/or English language acquisition.
A Focus on Health and Wellness
Strong minds need strong bodies. At Bill Roberts we are committed to both the mental and physical growth and well being of our students. Our food program revolves around a scratch kitchen where meals are made from fresh ingredients each day, providing healthy and nutritious choices for our students. We encourage physical wellness through our participation in programs like the 100 Mile Run Club, Boltage (a national program that promotes walking and biking to school), Girls on the Run, annual Field Days and Jump Rope For Heart, among others.
Benefits of a K-8 Education
See link to recent study on the K-8 Education Model:
Bill Roberts has been recognized as a Top Performing School and a High Growth School every year since 2009, and is the only Stapleton Elementary/E-8 school, and only one out of 19 DPS schools, to be awarded the Governor’s Award for Distinguished Improvement.
We’re not done, not even close. Our commitment to excellence means we never stop improving. We will continue to challenge ourselves and our team to be better, to do more, to inspire and engage, and to continue to build upon what we learn. At Bill Roberts, the learning never ends.