At a Glance
- Flexible curriculum to meet the individual needs of students.
- Inter-grade level (vertical) collaboration among teachers.
- Inquiry-based approach to learning with a focus on 21st Century Learning Skills.
- Focus on cognitive thinking strategies to promote deeper level thinking – students are encouraged and expected to be able to explain their thinking.
- Field trips for each grade to extend learning outside the classroom.
- Our curriculum is based on Common Core, standards-based approaches incorporating differentiation and teacher-designed methodology Some of the tools we employ in addition to the district curriculum include:Project-based learning – purposefully integrated curriculum that includes group work, research to completion and presentation skills that strengthen learning.
- Math – Singapore Math, Engage New York and CMP3 (MS) and blended learning with Khan Academy; Accelerated Math in 7th and 8th grades.
- Literacy – Benchmark, Expeditionary Learning, Engage New York, Lucy Calkins Writing, Guided Reading and LLI Interventions
- Social Studies/Science – Amplify Science, National Geographic and LDC
- Highly qualified teachers committed to life-long learning: the majority of our teachers have or are completing their Masters in Education.
- Highly educated paraprofessionals (teacher assistants) at each grade level, many with teaching licenses and/or advanced degrees, creating a smaller teacher-to-student ratio.
- 21st Century Learning includes group work, deeper level thinking processes across reading, math, writing, social studies and art.
- Trimester Electives are part of every day and change to meet student needs and interests.
- Technology is an integrated part of all subjects and students have their own Chromebook for use all school year.
- Inter-grade level mentoring and leadership, like book buddies, math buddies and the Middle School teacher assistant elective where students are assigned to help an elementary teach for a trimester (often their former teacher!)
- Extracurricular opportunities to extend learning. Our clubs are based on student interest each year.
- Specialized, highly-qualified intervention teachers dedicated to the support and challenge of students at every level of instruction within the academic spectrum:
Going Beyond the Classroom: Whole Child Education
We know that much of your child’s education will happen in the classroom, but believe that as a school we can do so much more. Our teachers collaborate with students’ previous teachers and use their colleague’s insight and data to ensure a seamless transition from grade to grade. Bill Roberts also employs specialized, highly-qualified intervention teachers who are dedicated to the support and development of students at every level of instruction within the academic spectrum including those on the Gifted and Talented (GT) and Highly Gifted & Talented (HGT) spectrum, as well as those needing special education.
Benefits of a K-8 Education
See link to recent study on the K-8 Education Model:
Bill Roberts has been recognized as a Top Performing School and a High Growth School every year since 2009, and is the only Stapleton Elementary/E-8 school, and only one out of 19 DPS schools, to be awarded the Governor’s Award for Distinguished Improvement.
We’re not done, not even close. Our commitment to excellence means we never stop improving. We will continue to challenge ourselves and our team to be better, to do more, to inspire and engage, and to continue to build upon what we learn. At Bill Roberts, the learning never ends.