The William “Bill” Roberts School Mission
Roberts E-8 is a creative, safe, and dynamic community of learners that nurtures and educates the whole child.
Our high-caliber staff, in partnership with our supportive parents, provides students with challenging and innovative learning opportunities through exploring the arts, educating for character, and fostering vigorous thinking — all essential for success in our changing world.
Benefits of an E-8:
- Smaller class sizes at an E-8.
- Teachers work with fewer students — 45-60 compared with 120-150 at a middle school model.
- Families are more invested; there is more parent participation and our parents generously contribute additional school operating funds through the active PTA. Students in an ECE-8 are part of the school community potentially for 9 continuous years. Students are recognized and known throughout the school as they grow and transition into high school.
- Families are able to remain together longer with siblings attending at the same location.
- Mentoring between the upper and lower grades benefits entire school.
- Students gain leadership skills learned from moving up the grades.
- Easier transition from 5th to middle school.
- A more appropriate transition at the 9th grade. By this time the child has figured out their strengths and is able to make a better high school choice.
- It is confidence-building to be in a safe environment during adolescence.
- Fewer discipline issues and attendance problems.
- Less incidence of drug use.
- Less incidence of police presence at an E-8 than at a middle school.
- Less time transitioning through hallways, and more time in the classroom.
- Earlier start and release times at nearby middle schools can result in children being unsupervised for a longer period of time after school.
- Students get to participate in more sports and clubs at an E-8. A smaller population increases playing time on sports teams.
- Less achievement loss from transitioning to a middle school due to learning continuity.
- Higher test scores at E-8s, compared to traditional middle school models.
- Future drop out rate of 11% less than students who attended a middle/junior high.
Information gathered from online resources for best practices and successful school configuration.